Isaac, nominee for Outstanding Individual Achievement award

Hi Isaac, you have been nominated for the Outstanding Achievement Award because of your role as President of Bristol Bar Society. 

How did you get involved in Bar Society in the first place? 

It started with wanting to explore the Bar as a career option because I have always been keen on the advocacy side of the profession. I saw the potential the Bristol Bar Society had and wanted to help the society reach its potential.  

What was the project that you enjoyed the most getting involved in this year, and why? 

The Bar has traditionally been a restrictive profession that often marginalises People Of Colour, Women, LGBTQIA+ individuals. When I became the President of the Bristol Bar Society, I wanted to spearhead the #NoBarToTheBar initiative. It has been the unofficial motto of the Bristol Bar Society, but my Vice President and I worked tirelessly this academic year to bring it to life. In fact, my entire committee played an active role this year to make the #NoBarToTheBar initiative successful. I enjoyed bringing all these opportunities to our student members which were previously unheard of. It was gratifying seeing our student members benefit from the various initiatives under the #NoBarToTheBar umbrella. The highlight was working alongside my committee to turn the tide with the #NoBarToTheBar initiative. I will cherish the privilege of serving and working alongside them all. 

Did you know that someone was going to nominate you for the award? What was your initial reaction when you were nominated? How do you feel now? 

I was not actively seeking people to nominate me because people should recognise the work you have done and seek to nominate you themselves. Hence, I was taken aback when I found out I had been nominated for this award. I am deeply humbled and honoured by this nomination. It will take a while for the feeling to sink in.   

Why do you think it is important to join societies, go the extra mile and put in the additional effort? 

For those of us who choose the University path, it becomes a significant part of our young adult lives. Our lives revolve around the student community, which become a part of our personal growth. Going the extra mile and putting in the additional effort benefits the student community, which gives back to us all. It makes a significant difference to the lives of our peers and successors who will reap the benefits of all the hard work and time you might have dedicated. Your effort might lay the foundation for future progress. It can be extremely rewarding to see things come to fruition.

You are a Law student, at the same time actively engaged in student life and Student’s Union. Where do you get your motivation or inspiration from? 

My mother and grandmother were the hardest working people I knew. I draw my inspiration and work ethic from them.

What would you advise students coming to Bristol in the autumn? 

Make your mistakes whilst you are here! Do not be afraid of making mistakes! They will be your best teachers!  

Words by Katarzyna Gorska, Law and German student