The Borgen Project

The Borgen Project

The Borgen Project is a non-profit organisation raising awareness for global poverty by mobilizing ordinary citizens and pushing for positive change.                                                                          Student Comms caught up with Mohammed Farrash, third year International Social and Public Policy student, currently interning for the organisation.

Mohammed, how did you find The Borgen Project?

It was an accident really, I was looking for some work experience, as I’m now in my third year, and I kind of found this project through other organisations.

What are the main beliefs of the project?

The Borgen Project aims to tackle global poverty. The belief is that tackling this massive concern will impact other global issues, such as public health, overpopulation, and national security, as well as creating more jobs for the future.

So, what work do you do with the project?

I get set tasks weekly, usually sending emails to MPs and helping to mobilise others to do the same. I also research current world events, help fundraisers, network, and investigate current bills going through Parliament. All the work is done online, as there isn’t an office in Bristol. I usually spend around 8 hours a week completing work for them.

Are there any surprises that have come up in this work? What successes have you been able to enjoy?

This has been my first work environment, so it’s been interesting to see just how much you can accomplish from just talking to people. Just getting the internship was such an achievement, the acceptance rate is quite low. It’s been great to connect with people within my community.

Is this something you’d like to focus on in your future career?

Honestly, I’m not sure yet. There’s so much that I would like to explore in the world, but I wouldn’t rule it out. In terms of career, I am originally from Saudi Arabia, and I would love to be able to contribute to The Vision 2030 and help bring Saudi Arabia into the future. One of the main objectives of the Vision 2030 is to strengthen national identity by sharing our culture with the rest of the world.

And what brought you to Bristol?

So, I graduated from school during COVID-19, my exams were cancelled, and I didn’t end up with the grades that I wanted. I originally wanted to apply to study finance but didn’t meet the requirements. I ended up going through clearing to just try and find a spot doing something. I planned to get onto a course and then change programmes, but after a few weeks in International Social and Public Policy, I realised I was really interested and decided to stay. I don’t regret that decision. Bristol was so helpful when I emailed in during clearing and made me feel that this place would value me. My mother is an Alumna here – she did a masters in Blood Banking; she’ll hopefully be coming over from Saudi Arabia for my graduation soon.

What’s been your favourite thing about Bristol?

The food! I’ve discovered so many cuisines that I haven’t experienced before. I love the local food markets and I’ve now discovered vegan food. I never really liked vegan food before, but now it’s one of my favourites. Living alone has really let me work on my cooking skills, my favourite food to cook is definitely Indian dishes.

What do you need to do now that you’re nearing the end of your internship?

I’ll be filling out my feedback survey and sending that in. This blogpost will probably be the last thing I do for it. I’ve enjoyed my time as an intern with the project and would recommend internships to other students.

You can learn more about The Borgen Project at The Borgen Project.

To get advice on internships, volunteering and career opportunities, get in touch with The Careers Service.