Meet Nathan, Postgraduate Research Advocate for the Be More Empowered (BME) for Success programme

This week we get to know a bit more about Nathan who is one of the first five PGR Advocates for the Be More Empowered (BME) for Success programme. This initiative is run by the Bristol Doctoral College and aims to support an increased sense of belonging and connection among Black, Asian and ethnic minority student PGRs in the University. A similar scheme is run for undergraduates by the Student Inclusion Team.

Highlight of being an advocate so far:

My highlight has been working with a group of incredible people! I am grateful for their consistent support over the past year and the opportunity this position has provided in making connections across the university.

Goal (in reference to the programme) for end of 2022-23:

My goal as an advocate this year is to create a consistent and established support network for BAME PGRs. I hope to achieve this by creating safe social spaces and providing supportive workshops which encourage empowerment in academia for this community of postgraduate researchers.

Top leadership skill gained/developed:

I’ve enjoyed being a person who can listen and I have developed a skill for making people comfortable with openly expressing their feelings and thoughts. I believe that being heard has been a powerful method of peer support for BAME PGRs and has empowered those who have attended our events.

Favourite meal:

Anything from Trinidad, but a favourite would have to be saltfish and fried bakes!

Favourite place in Bristol:

My favourite place in Bristol is Stokes Croft. I think that Gloucester Road has some of the best food places in Bristol and it also reminds me a bit of home (London).

Book/film recommendation:

My favourite book at the moment is Open Water by Caleb Azumah Nelson. I really enjoyed the story, which explores themes such as belonging, vulnerability and mental health, and how the writing immerses you in the character’s thoughts.

Person who has most inspired you:

Both of my parents have, and continue to inspire me most in my life. I try to have the same courage and determination in everything I do and hope to make them proud!

Huge thanks to Nathan for sharing these insights into his experience of the programme, and some of his preferences! Please contact student-comms@bristol.ac.uk if you have a story you would like to share on this blog for Black History Month, and beyond…!

1 thought on “Meet Nathan, Postgraduate Research Advocate for the Be More Empowered (BME) for Success programme