You’ve got six sets of Wilkinson’s basics coasters…but no shower gel. A suitcase of fancy dress options and only one extension cord. Moving into halls is an exciting time, so if you’re starting to think about what you need to bring to University, don’t worry about forgetting something important – we’ve got you covered.
Here’s our list of things to pack:
- Registration guide and Welcome Week timetable so you know where you’re going
- Keep cup – you can get a discount at each of our Source cafés every time you use a reusable mug
- Water bottle – keep hydrated in style and help save the planet by saying no to single-use plastics
- Bedding – you’d be surprised how many people forget a duvet cover or pillow case!
- Kitchen equipment – if you’re in self-catered accommodation you should bring a plate, bowl, cutlery, and pots and pans. It can be worth waiting until you arrive to see what your housemates have brought before buying smaller items like vegetable peelers or cheese graters; that way you’ll end up only with what you need.
- Map of campus
- Make sure you get out and explore the city too – Visit Bristol has maps you can download
- Check out bristolunibus.com to find out about UniBus services to travel around the University
- Your bike, if you enjoy cycling: you can also hire a Balloon Bike from the Students’ Union
- An umbrella
Ready to study
- Pencil case – you can pick up loads of cool freebies, including stationery, at the Welcome Fair
- Headphones – because you don’t want to be that person blasting music on the bus
- Textbooks – our libraries are also a great resource and staff are happy to help you find what you need
Your new community
- Biscuits are a great way to break the ice when you first move in
- Playing cards or board games
- Fancy dress
- SU wristband for entry into a host of events to help you get to know your neighbours and make friends
A home away from home
- Photos of family and friends
- Clock – because you don’t want to miss that 9 am lecture!
- A cozy hoodie
Need something else?
There are plenty of shops nearby where you can pick up anything else that you need – including The Basket, found on the ground floor of the Students’ Union. You can also order moving-in packs for the kitchen, bathroom, or cleaning supplies.
Why not get a plant or poster to brighten up your room and make it your own? Share a photo of your space with us using #FindYourBristol and let us know the one thing that you’re not leaving home without.