Freya, nominee for the Outstanding Individual Achievement award

Hello, my name is Freya, and I am a second-year Management with Innovation student.  

1. You’ve been nominated because of your work during the welcome period as a JCR President of Goldney. Could you describe what you’ve been doing over this time? 

I spent my time curating a ‘2020 Freshers Survival Guide’, which were given to each flat with recommendations from past Goldney students. I also helped organise a ‘starter pack’ with everything they would need for fresher’s week I, including some snacks, drinking utensils, some Goldney merchandise, fairy lights and a disco light for the flat.   

Once the first years were all moved in, we ran socially distanced events in the Goldney gardens, these included a quiz, outdoor cinema, ‘taskmaster’ style challenge afternoon, Bristol-based scavenger hunts, cooking challenge, morning yoga and an afternoon garden party with ice cream and candy floss! Students were part of ‘living bubbles’ made up of the members of their flats, so we would set out areas with cones to make sure social distancing was maintained. 

I was so glad that my ideas for freshers could come to fruition and that we could execute them and make a real difference for the 2020 Goldney freshers. 

2. What were some challenges you had to overcome? How did you cope with the restrictions? 

The restrictions were a massive challenge! All the ideas had to be carefully thought out and risk-assessed by Resilife to make sure they were Covid safeAt times it seemed easier not to bother than wrestle with the restrictions, but I was really glad we persevered.  

3. What’s the best thing about being in a position of JCR or being part of society? How can this help students during at University? 

The absolute best thing is the impact that you have on students. As JCR President, I could reach so many people and enrich their University life. Also, the support that you receive and the network and group of people that you become a part of is incredible. The societies, networks and JCRs really are the backbone of University life and what can turn a good experience into an incredible one. 

4. What would you advise students coming to Bristol in the autumn? Especially new freshers arriving in halls for their first time.  

In your first few weeks, take as many opportunities as you can and embrace everything with open arms, even if they are things you don’t think you’ll be remotely interested in. You may surprise yourself, you could make some new friends, or you could just have a funny story to tell from it! There is really nothing to lose.  

Also, get a microwavable saucepan – they are so useful! 

5. What were you doing when you heard that you’d been nominated for an award? 

I was actually preparing for a pitch for the Innovation part of my course. When I got the email, I did a little dance around my room, screamed a bit and texted my mum (she’s always first to know anything!).  I think it’s fair to say seeing the nomination gave me a lot of energy, excitement which I channelled through the pitch! 

Words by Adam Balazi, International Business Management student