Activities – Competition Four

What activities have kept you going this autumn?

Cabot Tower, Brandon Hill in Autumn
Cabot Tower, Brandon Hill in autumn

We know it can be hard to stay motivated this time of year as it gets darker and colder. So, for our fourth and final transition to university competition, we asked you to share your stories of what’s helped you ​stay motivated and settle into university life.

We received lots of amazing emails with fantastic tips and motivational stories. You can read this week’s winning answer below, along with some of our other favourite stories.

If you are struggling to stay motivated this autumn, remember there is still plenty going on in both the university and in the city to help you stay active, keep motivated, meet new people and try out new activities. If you are looking for inspiration, we have a list of events and resources in our first transition to university blog post.

This week’s winning answer…

Our winning answer this week comes from postgraduate student Carol:

“I am keeping vlogging my daily life on video channels to record my life in Bristol and the UK. I have been an international student since my undergraduate. I recorded my travels from home to the UK, the Christmas travel in France and Italy, my return “escape” from the UK to China during the pandemic, and my second return back travel from my home to the UK this September, and so on. I knew that they were just little pieces of my UK student life, which is trivial. But when I recall my life in totally different cultures and countries, it is incredibly meaningful to me. The previous experience is like a movie shot in my mind. I gained happiness and a sense of satisfaction from it. Also, I encourage my friends around me to try to record their lives. It will be a kind of treasure for your future life.”

We love that Carol is documenting her university experience in her vlogs! What a great way to keep motivated and have a record of your university life to look back on.

More motivation stories…

Amber, an undergraduate student, tells us that learning a language has helped her stay motivated this autumn. If you’re interested in learning a language like Amber, make sure you check out our Global Lounge Language Café.

“Joining uni later than most (20) was quite daunting so I found socialising a little difficult at the beginning – especially as I’m a commuter from home. So the activity that’s kept me going during the first months of university has to be my Korean language class! Our teacher Miss Young is phenomenal, and the class itself has a mixture of ages and people from many different degree paths. Therefore, I’m neither the oldest nor youngest which helped lessen my fear of being older and starting university.Each week we learn something new and the open calm environment means no questions are off limits. I cannot recommend her class enough! Thank you so much Young nim!!”

Grace, an undergraduate student, sent us a very inspiring story, detailing her past struggles with getting into university and how she kept herself motivated. Here is an inspirational quote from her story:

“Everyone goes through different things and what is difficult to one person may be fine for another – however I think it is important to remember that all struggles have value and reason. Despite all these challenges however, we’re all here. We all made it to, hopefully, where we wanted to be! Whether that took two years, three years, or like me, two years of 6th Form and then an additional two years!”

Thank you

We would like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who took part in our transition to university competition. We received some amazing stories, recipes, pet pictures and motivational tips. You can take a look back at our previous blog posts and competitions here: